We absolutely love resistance bands. They’re so convenient to throw in your gym bag and take your workouts anywhere. Plus, they’ll help you target every muscle group—big and small—to leave you feeling toned all over. Resistance bands are the perfect tool to add some extra intensity, too. The greater the resistance, the more energy you’ll burn.
Today, we’re sharing some of our favorite arm exercises using a resistance band. From your triceps and biceps to your shoulders and entire core, get ready to feel the burn. For the best results, complete three rounds of each move, and do 15 reps each.
To help you reach your health and fitness goals, we tapped Karena Dawn and Katrina Scott from Tone It Up for their advice. Here, they’ll let you in on all their wellness secrets, with a few tips and tricks along the way.
Band Bicep Curl
Tone It Up
This move primarily targets your biceps with some forearm activation. Be sure to lower the band slowly with control, not letting it snap back down. Brace your core throughout.
- Standing with feet hip-width apart, place the resistance band under your feet and hold a handle in each hand, palms facing up, in an underhand grip.
- Curl the band up to shoulder height, then lower. Do 15 reps.
Band Triceps Kickback
Tone It Up
This move primarily sculpts your triceps with some core activation. Keep a slight bend in your knees, squeeze the band at the top, and lower slowly and with control.
- Standing with feet hip-width apart, place the resistance band under your feet and hold a handle in each hand, palms facing in.
- With a flat back and core engaged, hinge forward at the waist and bend your arms to 90 degrees.
- Keeping elbows tucked close to your sides, extend your arms straight back behind you, and then return to start position. Do 15 reps.
Band Forward Raise
Tone It Up
This move will strengthen your shoulders, particularly the front deltoids. Keep a slight bend in your elbows at all times. Pause at the top to feel the muscle contract before lowering slowly, with control, back to the starting position.
- Stand with one foot staggered slightly in front of the other, and place the resistance band under your front foot.
- Holding a handle in each hand, palms facing your thighs in an overhand grip, raise your arms straight out in front of you until you reach shoulder height, then lower back down to start position. Do 15 reps.
Band Lat Pull
Tone It Up
Band lat pulls strengthen your back and shoulders, particularly your latissimus dorsi—lats for short—which are in the middle of your back. This movement also works your neck and upper traps.
- Standing with feet hip-width apart, hold one end of the resistance band in each hand, palms facing down, and extend your arms out in front of you at shoulder height.
- Engaging your core and squeezing your back muscles together, pull the band apart by extending your arms out to the sides.
- Reverse the motion and repeat for 15 reps.
Band Upright Row
Tone It Up
This movement will strengthen your shoulders, especially your front deltoids. You will also work your abs, upper back, and lower traps.
- Standing with feet hip-width apart, place the resistance band under your feet. Cross the band in front of you and hold a handle in each hand, palms facing your thighs in an overhand grip.
- With your chest tall and core engaged, pull the handles up to chest height, bending your elbows out to the sides.
- Lower back to start position and repeat for 15 reps.
Band Shoulder Press
This double-duty move works all the muscles of your shoulders and your core. Be sure to brace your core throughout and bring the bands down slowly, with control.
- Stand in the middle of the band, grasping the band handles in your hands with an overhand grip. Tighten your core.
- Press the handles of the band up, pausing when your upper arms are parallel with the ground, and the band is behind your arms, then press all the way up.
- Keep a soft bend in your elbows, slowly lower to the starting position, and repeat for 15 reps.
Band Bent Over Row
You will strengthen your entire back, abs, and biceps with this move. Make sure to brace your core and keep a soft bend in your knees. Try to keep your shoulder blades back and down before beginning this movement and not shrug your shoulders.
- Step onto the resistance band with feet shoulder-width apart. Grip the handles with an overhand grip.
- With knees slightly bent, hinge forward at the hips, keeping a straight back and your core engaged.
- Pull the band back, leading with your elbows, bringing your shoulder blades together.
- Hold this contraction at the top, feeling the squeeze, then slowly release to the starting position. Do 15 reps.
Band Curl to Press
You’ve already hit your biceps and shoulders, so that this move will help further tax the muscles for even better results. You’ll also fire up your core muscles for this movement as you brace to keep yourself steady. Remember to move slowly and with control, never letting the band snap back down.
- Stand on the middle of the band and grip the handles with an underhand grip.
- Keep a tight core and upright chest. Curl the bands towards your shoulders, keeping your elbows locked in place at your sides. Once the bands are at your shoulders, twists your wrists, so your palms face forward.
- Press the bands overhead. Slowly lower to your shoulders, flip your palms back to face the front, and slowly lower to the starting position. Do 15 reps.
For Your Gym Bag
Tone It Up resistance band
Tone It Up Resistance Band $14
The Tone It Up Girls’ resistance bands will help you conquer all of these moves. They have padded handles for a comfortable grip and provide just the right resistance for your upper body movements.
Koh Gen DO Cleansing Spa Water 3-Pack Facial Wipes $59
A beauty editor favorite, these cleansing cloths are a quick way to freshen up your face when you’re on the go. Just remember that cleansing wipes are a quick fix, and nothing works better post-workout than washing your face with a cleanser.
Dr. Loretta Intense Replenishing Serum $70
After cleansing, adding a small amount of Dr. Loretta’s super-hydrating serum will soothe and balance flushed skin. We love how soft and moisturized skin feels after using it.
Agent Nateur Holi(Stick) No. 3 déodorant $21
Apply before and after your workout to make sure that any odor is kept at bay. This formula from Agent Nateur not only smells wonderful but is also aluminum-free. A total win in our books.
Grown Alchemist Shaving Gel, Sandalwood and Sage $38
Sometimes nothing beats the feeling of smooth legs and underarms during a gym session. This shaving gel makes sure your skin is soft and moisturized. The sandalwood and sage scent is calming after a tough workout.
Omorovicza Silver Skin Savior $99
For acne-prone skin, Omorovicza’s Silver Skin Savior is a quick, 15-minute mask that can prevent breakouts after working out due to the antimicrobial properties of silver.
Head to the Studio Tone It Up fitness app for even more amazing workouts and choose from hundreds of routines to rev up your metabolism and sculpt your total body on the go.